The Football Association and Football Foundation have launched ‘Retain the Game’, a new scheme aimed at supporting the retention of adult male teams. The scheme will provide grants of £750 to clubs with existing male teams to support the essential costs of pitch hire, training venues, First Aid courses and playing kit/equipment.
The application window is now open and is due to close on Wednesday 30 May at 5pm.
STEP 1 – ELIGIBILITY
Who is eligible?
Clubs that operate with two or more male teams (U17-U21, Open Age and Vets) and
- ✓ Hold the FA’s Adult Charter Standard Award
- ✓ Operate in a Charter Standard Development or Charter Standard Community Club or
- ✓ Adult Clubs that commit to become FA Adult Charter Standard within season 2018/19
Only one application can be submitted per club.
The following clubs will be prioritised for a Retain the Game grant:
- ✓ Clubs with three or more adult male teams
- ✓ Clubs that have been in existence for 5-9 seasons
- ✓ Clubs that have been in existence for 10 of more seasons
- ✓ Clubs who operate in leagues employing Full Time
Who is not eligible?
- ✘ Walking football
- ✘ Futsal teams
- ✘ Small sided football teams
- ✘ University, College, and Armed Forces Intramural teams
- ✘ New teams
- ✘ Clubs who have received Grow the Game funding for an adult male team in the past two years
What do I need to do if our club is not Charter Standard?
In order to apply for Retain the Game, non-Charter Standard clubs will need to demonstrate they are willing to commit and work towards Charter Standard status. This requires clubs to contact their County FA and initiate the process prior to submitting an application. Charter Standard status will need to have been achieved by January 2019 to receive any further funding in 2019.
Why is the FA promoting Adult Charter Standard?
The FA’s research has demonstrated that Adult Charter Standard clubs are more sustainable and attract additional teams, players and volunteers. If clubs maintain this status they also receive an annual benefits package from the FA.
STEP 2 – ABOUT THE GRANT
What can the money be spent on?
The grant is designed to cover core costs including:
- Facility hire (match day or training venue)
- £100 Voucher for Nike Kit/Equipment (including First Aid) – to be redeemed through our bespoke portal
- First Aid course
The grant of £750 will be awarded split across two years. The grant instalment will vary depending on the status of the club.
The breakdown of funding is shown in the table below:
|Type of club||Year 1 – 18/19 season||Year 2 – 19/20 season|
|Adult Charter Standard, Development or Community||£500||£250|
|Non- Charter Standard||£250||£500|
Clubs will be paid their Year 1 instalment upfront once they have met all the grant pre-conditions and accepted the grant.
To release Year 2 payment clubs must meet the following conditions:
- Clubs will be asked to provide their receipts as evidence of the eligible expenditure for the 18/19 season (Year 1)
- Payment will be based on the retention of male teams within the club.
Your club must retain the following:
|Club size||Retention rate|
|2 male teams||100%|
|3-5 male teams||80%|
|6-9 male teams||70%|
|10+ male teams||65%|
The Year 2 funding will not be provided if the above retention rates are not met.
- All receipts provided must be dated after the grant offer date.
- The Football Foundation will not reimburse payments made prior to the grant offer.
Kit or equipment voucher
As part of the Retain the Game funding you are able to receive a £100 voucher towards kit or equipment packs (including first aid kit). Charter Standard clubs will be able to receive this voucher in the first year of the funding. Non-Charter Standard clubs will be able to receive this in the second year of the funding, once they have achieved Charter Standard status.
(Please note the final equipment may differ from what is pictured.)
STEP 3 – HOW TO APPLY
Applications are made through Grantshot, the Football Foundation’s online application portal.
If you have a Grantshot account, please login to start your application. If you do not already have an account, visit Grantshot to create one.
Applicants will be notified if they have been successful, or not, by Tuesday 17 July.